Thursday, September 20, 2018

Billie Jo Spears - United Artists 45s 1966-7

Three elusive and amazing singles produced by Kelso Herston just before Spears followed him to Capitol. On her first major-label releases, Billie Jo is already resigned to the fact that men are dogs. She acts accordingly, grimly determined to make the most of whatever flashes of happiness fall her way, her voice breaking throughout these six tales of classic honky-tonk hurt.

From the darkest taverns
I rescued you
Gave you all the good things
A love so sweet and true
The dens of lust have lured you to the dark side of the town 
There's just not enough of you to go around

You're a willing victim
You can't say no
Followed by sorrows everywhere you go
You always overlook me when you're fannin' all your fires
Count the hearts that you have broken curbing desires

As I walk the streets of evil
Searching for you
I'd bet my last breath you can be found
With the dirt in your favorite tavern
There's just not enough of you to go around

Billie Jo Spears 1966-7
UA 50022, UA 50092, UA 50184
Produced by Kelso Herston

01 Much Too Busy To Cry
02 Easy To Be Evil
03 If That's What It Takes
04 Conscience Keep An Eye On Me Tonight
05 Not Enough Of You To Go Around
06 You're Too Much Like Me

LOSSLESS

We were cut from the same lowly pattern
Since we met, all we do is disagree
Even drink from the same pain-filled bottles
I can't love you, you're too much like me

When you cheat, I just smile and forgive you
Take you back, prop you up with sympathy
Then go out, find someone, start gettin' even
I can't love you, you're too much like me

I thought I could lead you from the barroom to the altar
Take you and show you the good side of the street
But the alike that we're a-livin' seems never ending
I can't love you, you're too much like me


You took him from me so easy
I just called to let you know I'm not mad
You don't love him no more, so tell me
How do I go about goin' bad?

Show me how to wear my makeup
With red wine, what perfume works the best
With your help, I will learn how to hold him
Learn to love all the things I detest

If that's what it takes to hold him
Surely you can correct my mistakes
If you'll wait, I'll come down to the tavern
Yes, I'll go bad, if that's what it takes


Standin' together, all the lies you ever told me
Side by side, they're all walkin' toward me
Pretty soon they'll look me in the eye
But I'll be much too busy to cry

My apologies for any misheard lyrics...

9 comments:

Holly said...

Oh, thank you very much! Super hard to find!

reservatory said...

And well worth the search. Thanks for the thanks, as always.

sitarswami said...

Very nice. Thanks for posting.

ΦΡΑΓΚΟΣ ΠΑΥΛΟΣ said...

CHEERS MATE

ΦΡΑΓΚΟΣ ΠΑΥΛΟΣ said...

thanks mate

-Otto- said...

Splendid! Thank you!

diegoncio said...

Link dead please reup!!

ada berita said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.